Fresh Buttermilk Strawberry Shortcake
Write a review
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 c butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 t grated lemon peel
- 2 eggs, divided
- 2 baskets strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup whipping cream or crème fraiche, whipped and sweetened to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Sprinkle strawberries with 1/4 cup sugar, stir and let sit until sugar melts and berries become juicy.
- In a large bowl combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a cheese grater, grate butter into bowl and stir until well mixed.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, lemon peel, 1 whole egg, and 1 egg yolk. Add to flour mixture, and stir to make a soft dough. Divide into 6 equal portions.
- On a floured board, pat each into a 3-inch circle. Place on greased baking sheet. Brush generously with remaining egg whites, beaten.Sprinkle generously with additional sugar.Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pan; cool on rack.
- Slice each shortcake in half like a bun. Fill and garnish with strawberries and whipped cream or crème fraiche.
Newcastle Produce http://newcastleproduce.com/