Polenta Savory Cakes
Chef Chelsea's Polenta Cakes make a great appetizer or savory breakfast. The combination of caramelized onions, tart goat cheese, nutty flavor of the walnuts, and local honey is out of this world delicious.
Write a review
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Polenta
- 3 cups Water
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 Yellow Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. + 3 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 oz. Laura Chenel Goat Chevre
- 1/4 cup Walnuts, roughly chopped
- 6 springs fresh Thyme
- 3 Tbsp. Local Honey
- Bring 3 cups water plus 1 Tbsp. oil to a boil. Lower heat. Slowly add the polenta and stir to prevent clumping until polenta is creamy and begins to thicken. Add salt and cook for about 10 more minutes.
- Lightly grease an 8x8 pan. With a spatula, spread polenta evenly across pan. Cover with parchment paper and smooth the top of the polenta with your hands. Refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- In a large sauté pan heat 3 Tbsp. olive oil on medium low heat. Add the yellow onions and salt. Stir onions occasionally for 40 minutes.
- Flip the sheet of polenta out onto a cutting board. Using a round cookie cutter, cut out as many cakes as possible. Heat a large sauté pan with olive oil and fry for 8-10 minutes on each side.
- To assemble the cakes place fried polenta on platter, top with some of the caramelized onions, goat cheese crumbles, walnuts, thyme, and drizzle with honey. Makes about 6 cakes.
Newcastle Produce https://newcastleproduce.com/