Black Quinoa w/ Mushrooms & Snow Peas
Thanks to Joanne Neft for sharing this recipe from the Placer County Real Food cookbook.
Write a review
- 1 cup black quinoa, rinsed
- 3 cups warm liquid (a combination of boiling water and low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms (your choice: cremini, shiitake, porcini, chanterelles), sliced or cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 3 to 4 tablespoons sour cream
- ½ pound snow peas
- Several leaves fresh basil, shredded
- In a heavy nonstick frying pan over medium-low heat, lightly toast the quinoa until slightly golden, about 5 minutes. Pour in 1 cup of the liquid, stirring as you go. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a sauté pan over medium-high heat, and add the fresh mushrooms and the onion, cooking until lightly browned and softened, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic about halfway through. When the liquid has been absorbed by the grains, add more of the liquid a little at a time, continuing until the grains have absorbed it all and are tender crisp, about 15 to 25 minutes. Stir in the mushroom mixture and sour cream; cover and remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork, garnish with the snow peas and basil, and serve.
Newcastle Produce https://newcastleproduce.com/