Fresh Strawberry Buttermilk Shortcake
Write a review
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 eggs, divided
- 2 baskets strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup whipping cream or crème frâiche, whipped and sweetened
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a cheese grater, grate butter into bowl and stir until well mixed.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, lemon peel, 1 whole egg, and 1 egg yolk. Add to flour mixture, and stir to make a soft dough.
- Divide dough into 6 equal portions. On a floured board, pat each into a 3-inch circle. Place on greased baking sheet. Brush generously with remaining egg whites, beaten. Sprinkle generously with additional sugar.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from pan; cool on rack.
- Slice each shortcake in half like a bun.
- Fill and garnish with strawberries and whipped cream or creme fraiche.
Newcastle Produce https://newcastleproduce.com/